Serving You With Tenancity & Care Schedule a Free Consultation

Do You Have This Important Auto Insurance Coverage?

Wilson & McQueen Jan. 13, 2022

If you have a serious car accident, you expect an insurance company to pay for your injuries and property damage. Because Kentucky law only requires motorists to carry liability insurance, though, this insurance coverage may to run out well before your medical bills and other expenses stop.

Liability insurance pays for the damages the at-fault driver causes. If the driver who causes your accident only has liability insurance, the policy may not pay for all your damages. Therefore, you probably want to add uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage to your auto insurance policy.

Some Extra Peace of Mind

The liability insurance Kentucky law requires motorists to carry is meager. If you have an accident with a driver who only has the minimum amount of liability protection, underinsured motorist coverage gives you some extra peace of mind. That is, you can use this optional coverage to pay for the damages the other driver’s insurance provider does not cover.

More than 8% of drivers in Kentucky have no auto insurance at all. If you collide with one of these drivers, your uninsured motorist coverage pays for your injuries and property damage. This is an important benefit, as uninsured motorists are not likely to be able to pay out of pocket for the damages they cause in car accidents.

Minimal Added Expense

If you are looking to keep your insurance premiums low, it may be tempting only to carry the liability insurance Kentucky law requires. While uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage is apt to add minimal expense to your insurance bills, it is hard to overstate the importance of having this type of insurance. Your insurance provider can provide additional information on the cost of added uninsured/underinsured coverage.

Ultimately, even if the accident is not your fault, without uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage, you are at risk of having to pay for medical bills, rehabilitation, a new vehicle and other accident-related expenses.